Sunday, June 1, 2008

My Investment Experiment

I am here today to venture out into the world of investing. I don't have much money to invest, but I've done some research and found that with some patience, anyone can take a small amount of cash and turn it into something more.

My Investment Adventure starts today with $300 and an account from Sharebuilder. Sharebuilder offers buy options called ETFs, which give you the option to own a portion of a share. I'm not here to learn ya'll on how Sharebuilder does its trading though, I'm here to share my experiences with trading.

I like most college students have multiple jobs. I work 65+ hours a week during the summers and over my winter break (not much of a break now is it) and about 15 hours during the school year. Needless to say, my income differs a lot depending on the time of the year. I plan on investing $300 a month during the times when money is good and $100 a month during the dryer times.

I'm trying to set up a portfolio with a few ETFs so it's easier to manage (and keeps the fees down). I will be updating my investment strategy on this spreadsheet. It's not too exciting, but it will constantly be changing and I will be sure to document what I changed and why I changed it in later blog posts.

No comments: